Translate

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Caldo De Res







Ingredients: For 6 servings

4 pieces of shank cross cut or 2 lbs chuck steak
2 garlic cloves
1 bunch  cilantro
3 fresh corn in the cob cut in chunks
2 potatoes
2 or 3 carrots
1 zucchini
½ head of cabbage
2 California chilies (soak in warm water for 1 hour)
1 onion
Salt to taste
Limes and tortillas or rice to serve with.
  
Bring water to a boil, add the shanks and boil for 5 minutes then turn the heat to Low and allow to simmer for 1 hour.   Cut the top of the chilies off and discard seeds and soak in hot water for 20 minutes.   Place chilies and onion in a blender and blend with 1 cup of beef stock and add to the broth using a strainer, discard the pulps. Cut all vegetables the same size and add to the pot and cook for 45 minutes.   

Note: You can add any vegetable your heart desire.   I even add purple sweet potatoes, edamame  beans, acorn squash, etc.

Enjoy!!

Saryma Hogan


Every Tuesday I would go to La Tapetia and buy this soup for about $ 8.00 a cup.   I tried to duplicate the recipe  five times.   Every time I made it, it turn out different than what I bought.  But I never give up, this was my final product.   I discovered that the redness of the broth is from the chilies pod.

No comments:

Post a Comment